Thursday, February 17, 2011

Quilter Profile - Kathy Hurst




1.  How long have you been quilting?  I really started quilting in about 1990 when I borrowed a book from my mother-in-law Carol Hurst.  It was entitled “Quilting for People With No Time to Quilt.”

2.  Approximately how many quilts have you made?  I don’t know for sure, but I think it’s approaching 200.

3.  What pattern or type of quilt do you enjoy making?  My favorite quilts are scrap quilts.  I like the scrappy look much better than lots of the same fabric.

4.  Is there something distinctive about your quilting style?  I don’t think so.  You probably wouldn’t be able to pick mine out of a line-up.  They just look like quilts.

5.  What is your earliest quilting memory?  My mother never quilted, but my Grandma Peay did.  She used to buy fabric scraps from the old Barbizon factory in Provo and make quilts for the new babies in the family.  I still have the one she made for Kim when she was born.

6.  I’ve been a guild member since the very beginning.  EveLynn Perkins and I decided we needed a quilt guild in Blanding.  We advertised in the paper and had the organizational meeting in my living room.

7.  I was taught to quilt at first by books, but most of the inspiration and really good ideas have come from the ladies in the quilt guild.  When we first started, my goal was to make every quilt we learned about (which was about once a month).  It didn’t take long for me to realize that was a little ambitious, but I think I’ve at least tried almost everything we’ve been taught.

8.  Who do you usually make quilts for?  Usually my family, but I really like the idea of making quilts for people who need them too.

9.  My favorite quilt I ever made was “That Damn Norma Quilt.”  It was the most challenging I ever tried, and it even included some appliqué, which is not my forte.

No comments:

Post a Comment