Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Quilter Profile - Gayle Shumway


1.  I have been quilting since 1955.

2.  I have made approximately __ quilts.   I have kept track of the quilts I have made as well as I have kept track of diapers I have changed, meals I have cooked, and loads of laundry I have done.

3.  What pattern or type of quilt do you enjoy making?   I really enjoyed making the drunkards path, and the cathedral window; these were different techniques and curves.
4.  Is there something distinctive about your quilting style?   I am definitely not a perfectionist!  I don't want my quilts to look like they came from a factory. I like to add a sizzle, like a little yellow or a surprise border or binding.

5.  What is your earliest quilting memory?   My grandmother, Lelia Palmer gave me her fabric scraps and showed me how to piece them onto a diamond  pattern made from newspaper. It took 6 diamonds to make a star block. I spent one summer happily sewing away at her old singer sewing machine and made enough blocks to make a quilt. I was so proud of that quilt.

6.  I have been a member of the Grayson Country Quilt Guild since ____.  I really don't know.

7.  I was taught to quilt by my  grandma, mom, aunts, and guild members.

8.  Who do you usually make quilts for?   I admit, Usually I make quilts for me, for therapy; then I give them away to family, friends.

9.  My favorite quilt I ever made was _____. I have several that are precious to me.  Probably because of the difficulty or time involved and others because they were made in a class (guild challenges) or together with friends and the memories are cherished. One that I would grab and take if there was a fire is my cathedral window quilt. Fern Palmer taught me how to make it.  She and I loved each other since we had a mini car crash when I was sixteen and ran into each other.  I loved making the sunbonnet sue quilts we made in guild, with all the lace and embellishments. It was like playing paper dolls; they turned out so cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment