Thursday, February 23, 2012

Quilter Profile - Shari Guymon


1.    I made my first quilt in 1969 when I had my first child.  It was a mothergoose quilt with painted blocks.

2.     I have made approximately a dozen quilts at most…..I usually choose small projects that I feel I can be sure to finish.

3. What pattern or type of quilt do you enjoy making?  I have enjoy piecing, and creating my own patterns, using graph paper.  I like to try new techniques.

4. Is there something distinctive about your quilting style? ………Experimenting …Most are fairly simple patterns, playing with style and color…..I made one for one of my daughters once with a giant checkerboard in the middle and gave her giant checkers to play with.

5. What is your earliest quilting memory? ……..My earliest memory is of theMother Goose quilt which had hand painted blocks and was hand quilted as well…..Ialso remember helping some friends do tricot quilts, and sometimes losing myneedle underneath the quilt…..The most vivid memory is the jean quilt I tiedwhere I had to use pliers to pull the needle with yarn through the very heavyfabrics.

6. I have been a member of the Grayson Country Quilt Guild since _____.  Not sure…I think it’s been about 3 years…..

7. I was taught to quilt by ______________. No one specifically taught me, Ijust observed others and was taught bits and pieces when I helped with projects.I’ve learned a lot since I’ve been in the guild, and I also use books and theinternet for clarification on techniques.

8. Who do you usually make quilts for? …I usually make items for familymembers.

9. My favorite quilt I ever made was…..An Amish quilt that I made for a weddinggift.  A lot of others helped me with thequilting part.  I loved the colors, thefriendship and the bright and cheery nature of the quilt…It was quite striking!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment