Friday, May 6, 2011

Using Your Computer to Make Quilt Labels

Courtesy of Rosalie Payne...

  1. You must have an Ink Jet printer!!!!!!!!!
  2. Cut piece of freezer paper 8 ½ x 11. (I just buy packages of precut paper. You can get 50 sheets from http://www.clotilde.com/ for about $8.00 (I’ve also seen it a little cheaper in some quilt stores and I have seen it at Mrs. Guppy’s here in Price.) Cut a piece of fabric slightly smaller – about 8 ¼ x 10 ¾. I generally use unbleached muslin but have also used light colored cotton broadcloth. Press the fabric to the shiny side of the freezer paper.
  3. Design the label on your computer. You can use any pictures or graphics but you need to print in black and white for a permanent label. Colors will fade out.
  4. Put the prepared paper into your printer and print as usual. In my HP printer I put the fabric side down but you may want to experiment to be sure you are printing on the fabric.
  5. Press with a warm iron to help set the ink.
  6. Remove the backing from the label, cut it to the size desired, and sew it onto your quilt.
  7. If you have questions, call me and I’ll try to help you out – (Rosalie at 613-0634).
  8. **Note: I generally “save up” and put three or four labels on the same page to save paper.
  9. **Note: I tried this same technique to put photographs on a quilt. However, the fabric I used had a small pattern and the people in my pictures ended up looking like they had a rare disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment